Donate With PayPal to Talk of Juba
Your donation will enhance Talk of Juba's capacity to build on its existing online news dissemination channels and to increase its ability to collect, edit and distribute reliable news and content.
One Time Donation
Support Talk of Juba
Talk of Juba is one of South Sudan’s leading sources of original, field-based reporting and analysis about the politics, war, and humanitarian crises. We put quality independent journalism at the service of the most vulnerable people in the country. With specialised editors and a network of local correspondents, we report from the frontlines and around South Sudan to drive more effective and accountable responses to those in need.
Since establishment, Talk of Juba has never received external funding to enable it execute its crucial role of providing news to South Sudanese people. The outlet has primarily depended on individual funding from the founders but as it grows into a national media outlet, the founders are no longer able to meet the financial requirements of an expanded outlet. The outlet is humbly asking donations from well-wishers and friends of the South Sudanese people.
The support will enhance its capacity to build on its existing online news dissemination channels to increase its ability to collect, edit and distribute reliable news and content. The proposed organisational capacity development for Talk of Juba will enhance its effectiveness in these two areas:
1. Human resource (news correspondents)
2. Technological empowerment through equipment purchases
The support will enable Talk of Juba to provide non-biased, factual news and informative content that does not lean to any partisan side. This will ensure that we maintain a degree of independence and try hard to present all sides to the issues without creating an impression of undue influence from the South Sudanese government or the opposition groups.
Talk of Juba organisational capacity development project aims at providing a solution to the below problems:
1. Weak media culture in South Sudan: Talk of Juba will promote robust unbiased information gathering and distribution
2. Poor governance: Talk of Juba will highlight and act as a vital instrument for democracy, justice and accountability
3. Vagaries of the civil war: Talk of Juba will highlight the and act as a vehicle for peace building among warring communities of South Sudan through peace messaging, advocacy, demobilization, and demilitarization of youth.
4. Lack of objective information: Bridge the information gaps by providing first hand, reliable and timely source of news in South Sudan
5. Poor access to health services: To tackle by acting as a source of information on access to the limited health services
6. Humanitarian crisis: Talk of Juba will provide information on ongoing humanitarian situation, poverty alleviation efforts and agriculture
7. Media censorship: The organization will confront censorship through advocacy and by highlighting cases of journalist rights abuses and promoting people’s right to information
Why support Talk of Juba?
Our trusted reporting leads to concrete actions: it has prompted public petitions, donations, new aid programs, debates in parliament and changes in policy.
Through a network of local correspondents, a core staff of experienced editors and analysts, and intimate knowledge on South Sudan, Talk of Juba provides unique multimedia news and analysis from hotspots all over the country.
Born out of the desire to inform and educate, our independent non-profit status helps us cast a more critical eye over the issues affecting South Sudanese people.
Unlike most news outlets covering South Sudan, Talk of Juba is South Sudanese owned and based in Juba. Our local correspondents have a better knowledge of local issues affecting the population on the ground compared to foreign journalists, this places Talk of Juba at a better position than foreign-owned/based news outlets.
Few other media report accurately and consistently on the conflict and political situation in South Sudan, and none are solely dedicated to it as we have been for the last 5 years.
Your donation helps…
• Encourage accountability and transparency in the government so that it better meets the needs of those it aims to serve
• Amplify the voices of those living through crises
• Provides a platform for local journalists and citizen journalists in South Sudan where freedom of the press is suppressed
• Recognise the value of investigative, innovative, fact-based reporting that is independent of vested interests
• Build a community of people who believe in quality journalism.
How we achieve change…
1. Better decision-making: Policy-makers who design programs and allocate resources for crisis prevention, resilience and response can make better decisions with real-time information about changing needs that is independent of partisan interests.
2. Accountability and transparency: Talk of Juba highlights best practice, exposes malpractice, and critically examines failed responses, conflicts of interest and financial corruption so that relevant actors learn lessons and change policies accordingly.
3. Greater awareness: Through media partnerships, Talk of Juba raises awareness and understanding among the general public, which can pressure political elites to act, increase international solidarity and promote citizen engagement.
Talk of Juba was formed by a group of enthusiastic South Sudanese youth in 2012, and has expanded every year since to become one of the most popular and reliable digital media house. ‘Talk of Juba’, is the first and only South Sudanese owned independent youth media outlet. Talk of Juba is registered by the Ministry of Justice’s Registrar of Companies, NGOs, Societies and Associations with Registration Number (Reg. No: 22808).
We provide context, analysis and multiple perspectives on South Sudanese news, politics, conflict, humanitarian situation, economics, business and culture.
In addition to news, the Talk of Juba website publishes thought-provoking opinion articles which aim to inspire and tackle issues concerning South Sudan.
We have a crowd sourced journalism model that combines a wide funnel with a strong filter. This means that while anyone can write for us, every article we publish has to meet our editorial guidelines.
Since launch in 2013, Talk of Juba’s website (http://www.talkofjuba.com) has garnered more 5 million page views.
Our mission is to inform and to educate. Therefore, we produce in-depth reports, publications and videos on various issues. Our reports and publications are meant for the public and are of particular use to policy analysts, business professionals and students. Talk of Juba will to continue provide South Sudanese with reliable news in a wide range of topics including politics, humanitarian and entertainment, and a platform for debates and discussions.
Our vision is to create the first truly South Sudanese media platform that transcends borders, beliefs and backgrounds that provides a plurality of perspectives that fosters real debate, that tells the story behind the story, and that involves you in a meaningful global conversation.
In sum, we aim to provide a “360°” view so South Sudanese citizen of today and tomorrow can make sense of the world.
For more information on Talk of Juba, email us: [email protected] or call: +211921689438